Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Saturday, December 22, 2007

Desiderata



My all time favorite poem, and my wish to all. Hope everyone's holidays are filled with nice memories and happiness...I'm not sure if I'll be posting until after Christmas....I'm going to be at a dial up location so I may not even be able to read you guys...So have a wonderful weekend....Hope Santa makes your wildest dreams come true! ;-)

Desiderata by Max Ehrmann c.1920
Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons.

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant, they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.

If you compare yourself to others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery.But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love, for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is perennial as the grass. Take kindly to the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.

Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.

Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

Max Ehrmann c.1920


Peace

30 comments:

Patti said...

Beautiful, Odat. I had read parts of the poem before. Thanks for posting it in its entirety.

Have a wonderful Christmas.

Jeff B said...

Very nice Odat. Hope you have a safe journey and that you are met with peaceful surroundings.

Merry Christmas

M@ said...

I like how everyone's going to be at "dialup" locations in the country.

PEACE ON EARTH

buffalodick said...

Once, when I was in my 20's and had gotten my first "starter" home, I had a poster of Desiderada framed and hung it on my dining room wall. For years, I had a daily reminder of that timeless advice.
Odat, I'm really glad I met you while blogging this year! Your wit and humor has been passed along by me on numerous occasions to the non bloggers. I'm wishing you a heartfelt Merry Christmas and a happy, prosperous New Year!

P.S. In the words of Charles Dickens, through the immortal character Tiny Tim- "What did that cheap fu*k Scooge give us this year?" :0-HoHoHo!!!

buffalodick said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Miss Odat.

Since you may not be posting, I will give you my Christmas wishes now. I was saving these for Christmas Eve.

I hope all of your Christmas wishes come true. I am blessed that we encountered each other through blogging and I am honored to call you one of my best blogging friends.

Merry Christmas to you. May your day be wonderful and full of love and happiness.

Later Y'all.

Michael C said...

Merry, Merry Christmas my best blogging buddy!!!

heartinsanfrancisco said...

I've always loved this, and am so happy to read it again here, with you.

Pawlie Kokonuts said...

And rotate your tires. (Stolen from a recording that was a parody of this . . . ever hear it? With a Rod Serling-like narrator.)

Merry Christmas.

RW said...

Thats awesome! :D

Schmoop said...

Peace and Enjoy Odat. Cheers!!

CS said...

Another blog has this posted recently - must be speaking to people during the holidays. I've always liked it - we had to memorize it in 7th grade.

Rick Rockhill said...

Odat, that is an excellent post, and thanks for the positive energy.
Merry Christmas!
-Rick

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas to you and yours! :)

Gledwood said...

I like it!

Here's wishing you a Merry One
and an
Entertaining 2008!!

;->...

Ralph said...

It's a nice poem with wonderful meaning if you believe in it. Merry Christmas Odat (and Spud, too!)

heartinsanfrancisco said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
heartinsanfrancisco said...

I slipped a gear.

I meant to say, Merry Christmas to ODAT!

And many happy monkey New Year wishes, too.

Akelamalu said...

Just popped over to wish you and your family a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, may they be everything you're hoping for.

Much Love and Reiki Blessings
Akelamalu
x

Open Grove Claudia said...

What a lovely poem! I can see that you strive for these qualities every day. That's why you're so cool!

Happy Christmas Odat!

Anndi said...

And a Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Thank you for sharing the entire poem with us...

Casdok said...

Lovely! And may you have a lovely christmas! Cas and Cx

Oswegan said...

Merry Christmas!

~Oswegan

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

merry christmas odat!

smiles, bee
xoxo

Heart of Rachel said...

Just came by to wish you a blessed Christmas.

Evalinn said...

Nice! Merry Christmas Odat!

Eyezaku said...

beautiful poem, odat. hope you have a merry christmas. all the best for 08.

Sarge Charlie said...

I would like to wish you and yours a very merry Christmas and a wonderful new year.

The Old Sarge

Jeff B said...

Merry Christmas Odat!

Echomouse said...

Thank you so much for sharing that poem. I'm not a big poem reader and would never have known about it otherwise. It's a fav of mine now as well.

Merry Merry Christmas to you and yours! :)