Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Cracking Up



The Cracked Pot

An elderly Chinese woman had two large pots, each hung
on the ends of a pole which she carried across her neck. One of the pots
had a crack in it while the other pot was perfect and always delivered a
full portion of water. At the end of the long walk from the stream to
the house, the cracked pot arrived only half full.

For a full two years this went on daily, with the woman bringing home only
one and a half pots of water.

Of course, the perfect pot was proud of its accomplishments. But the poor
cracked pot was ashamed of its own imperfection, and miserable that it
could only do half of what it had been made to do. After 2 years of what
it perceived to be bitter failure, it spoke to the woman one day by the
stream. "I am ashamed of myself, because this crack in my
side causes water to leak out all the way back to your house." The old
woman smiled, "Did you notice that there are flowers on your side of the
path, but not on the other pot's side? That's because I have always
known about your flaw, so I planted flower seeds on your side of the path,
and every day while we walk
back, you water them."

"For two years I have been able to pick these beautiful flowers to
decorate the table. Without you being just the way you are, there would not
be this beauty to grace the house."

Each of us has our own unique flaw.
But it's the cracks and flaws we each have that make our lives together so
very interesting and rewarding. You've just got to take each person for
what they are and look for the good in them. Don't be afraid of your flaws. Acknowledge them, and you too can be the cause of beauty. Know that in our weakness we find our strength.

So, to all of my crackpot friends, have a great day and remember to smell
the flowers on your side of the path!

Peace

17 comments:

buffalodick said...

Very touching and very true...

Patti said...

Without our flaws and cracks life would be sure be boring.

I always remember to smell the *flowers*.

Have a good Tuesday.

Schmoop said...

HA...Sweet story. Cheers, you crackpot, you!!

RW said...

I like that! It makes me feel good!! Hey I knew ya would pick that Valentine Odat so glad you like it. Have a awesome day!!:D

Anndi said...

That's a wonderful story sweetie, thank you for posting that!

**hugs**

The CEO said...

Ah Zen! How beautiful! Thank you, Odat, the start to another perfect day!

Anonymous said...

Amen sistuh! Amen!

Sandee said...

Very well said Odat. Big hug and I'm glad to know that you know I'm a crackpot too. :)

The Boy said...

Hey, that was one of my dad's favourite stories. I lost count the number of sermons I heard him retell it! Its a good one.

Casdok said...

I forgot to smell them today, but will remember tomorrow! :)

Akelamalu said...

How lovely! :)

Anonymous said...

WHat a lovely idea - I really like that.

Claudia said...

What a great story!!

Jeff B said...

But when the old woman gets back to her house is the pot half full or half empty?

Michael C said...

Simply beautiful. And so true! My pot cracked a long, long time ago.
;-)

katherine. said...

I read this a long time ago and had forgotten it....thanks for bringing it back to me...

riseoutofme said...

The world would be a much sadder place without a few crackpots!