Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

A Prayer


I don't mean to keep getting all mushy on you, but hey, this is my blog and I can write what I want. This is a "Hopi" Indian Prayer that was on a card I recently received and I thought it was beautiful. Although it may sound sad, and altho it makes me cry, it gives me strength and that's something I need a lot of these days.

Do not stand
at my grave and weep.
I am not there,
I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints
on snow.
I am the sunlight
on the ripened grain.
I am the gentle
Autumn's rain.
When you awaken
in the morning hush,
I am the swift
uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars
that shine at night.

Do not stand
at my grave and cry:
I am not there,
I did not die.


God's finger touched him, and he slept.
-Alfred, Lord Tennyson Peace

22 comments:

buffalodick said...

I have always believed the body was just a vehicle to the next adventure...Be well, dear...

Anonymous said...

That poem was read at my dad's burial service...Love it.

Another one that really hit me was "The Dash"

The CEO said...

Thank you for this.

Monty

Schmoop said...

You need not add caveats to your posts. Of course, you should put out there whatever you feel or think. Cheers Odat!!

Anonymous said...

So true Odat !

Christy said...

This is a beautiful poem, I have read it before and I do find it comforting.

Patti said...

I've never read this. It's beautiful. Thanks for sharing it.

Have a peaceful day, Odat.

Claudia said...

this is really beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I see why it touches you, Odat. It is moving and comforting.

Peace and blessings to you today.

Sandee said...

How beautiful Odat, how beautiful. It's true too honey. Extra big [[[HUG]]]. :)

Dianne said...

I always find comfort in that poem. The photo is so peaceful and still as well.

Peace.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Beautiful words. May they bring you peace.

Oswegan said...

It's wonderful for sure.

Danielle said...

What a beautiful poem, it is strengthening.

Wishing you well

Unknown said...

That is a beautiful prayer and they are words to live by. Trust us we understand that you need these things.
Big hugs

Akelamalu said...

This is one of my favourite poems because it says exactly what I believe. ((hug))

Anonymous said...

I like the mushy stuff. I've heard that prayer before, and loved it.

Michael C said...

We should all try to remember that when we lose someone.

Jeff B said...

Death is always so much harder on all of us that are left behind to continue our journey.

You're doing great, and by all means you post whatever YOU want to.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Gorgeous, and so true.

I read this at the funeral of someone I loved long ago, and it feels like an old friend meeting it here again, with you.

katherine. said...

not only true...but comforting...

post whatever you can!

Maggie Moo said...

This is by far one of my most favorite poems of all time. It encompasses everything I believe about life after death and it gives me peace to think about my Papa being a thousand winds that blow and especially the diamond glints on snow.